Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Deer, Elk and Ducks, Oh My!

Some crazy things have gone on in the last couple of weeks for us! And yes, they involve a deer, some elk and some ducks. We'll begin with the deer. I was pushing the kids in the stroller to the post office one day last week and thought I was seeing things when I saw deer running in someones front yard. I got closer and the deer had jumped the fence and was running around the yard with a black rottweiler!! We went on to the post office and I told the lady working there what I saw. She informed me that she is the town pet, Deer Abby. Someone found her hurt as a baby and nursed her back to health. She roams around town eating dog food and anything else she can find. She spends most of her time in that yard with the rottweiler. Crazy!!

Also, there is a man just outside of town that raises Elk. They are beautiful!! I've known about them for a while and have been meaning to get pictures. Some of them were really close to the road one day, so we stopped and took pictures. Taylor loves looking for them when we drive by and counting how many she can see. Sometimes they lay down in the grass and all you can see are there antlers. It's pretty cool!

And onto the ducks...The day after we saw Deer Abby for the first time, we decided to go to Lamesa to the park and to feed ducks. I only had about half a loaf of bread. We started throwing the bread to the ducks and they SWARMED us! Taylor was screaming "It's eating me," because one of the ducks bit her finger. I was freaking out and trying not to let Taylor see. I was trying to carry Ryan in his carseat and Taylor back to the car. The ducks were literally biting at my legs, so I had to start kicking them to get back to the car. We will not be feeding the ducks in Lamesa again...apparently no one else is either because they were starving! I didn't get any pictures of the duck feeding, but did of the elk and Deer Abby.




2 comments:

Libby said...

The mental image I had of you kicking the ducks made me giggle pretty hard:)

The Brays said...

OK! I could hardly read the duck story. I was laughing so hard. That is pretty funny.