Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Courage

I've come across a new and awesome website called (in)courage. It's a blog site meant to (in)courage christian women created my Dayspring (the Christian equivalent of Hallmark). I love it! They have (in)couraged all bloggers to write about what courage means to them. I'm not the greatest writer, but I will give it a try.


I see courage through the eyes of an 8-year old little girl. An 8-eight year old girl that was diagnosed with cancer. After hearing her diagnosis, this little girl (might I remind you again...she's EIGHT) says, "I'm gonna be okay. With God and my great doctors, I'll get through this." Oh, the courage and faith of a child. Throughout a surgery, chemo treatments, shots, losing hair, feeding tubes and throwing up, I NEVER saw this little girls courage waiver. I never heard her complain. In fact, most of my visits to see her involved laughter and jokes. She taught me how to fart with a bendy straw and my armpit (a trick she learned from the nurses on her floor at the hospital). If people looked at her differently, she had the courage to tell them what was wrong with her, before they would even ask.

An 8-year old girl taught me what courage really is! I don't think courage is necessarily about being brave. I think it is about a CHOICE. In life, we will all be faced with hardships at some time or other. Some peoples tough times will be tougher than others. I think the choice you make can make these hardships easier or more difficult. I also think courage is about FAITH in God. He tells us to have courage and He will not leave us or forsake us. Will you have the courage of the 8-year old girl?

Most of you know that this girl is my cousin, Kristin. She is now 10 plus years cancer free. Praise God! This sweet girl, her sister and mom and dad are wonderful people. In fact, her sister Kelcee was just baptized this past Sunday. Congrats Kelcee...love you girl!

I know I am not the most eloquent writer, but that is what courage is to me...it's about making a choice and having faith. I (in)courage you to check out this new website and blog about what courage is to you. I have been blessed and hope you will, too.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I also have looked at this website! I've added it to my google reader already.

Great story! Hope you guys are doing well!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Such a touching story of courage! What a blessing to know such a special little girl. So glad you joined us on (in)courage to share your story.

Jennifer - (in)courage

Holley - (in)courage said...

"I don't think courage is necessarily about being brave. I think it is about a CHOICE." Yes...I love your perspective, Allyson. Thank you for sharing Kristin's amazing story with us!