Monday, May 25, 2009

Tough things for a 2-yr old

Gosh, I've been meaning to post for three weeks now, but we've been SO busy! We've had some big things happen lately. Things that have been difficult to explain to my ever-inquisitive 2 1/2 yr old. About 4 weeks ago, one of our golden retrievers, Cowboy, died. Dustin had taken him and Cassie out for a run, while he road his bicycle. Cowboy was slowing down towards the end and finally stopped and laid down about 1/4 mile from our house. So, Dustin road the rest of the way home and came back to get him in the car. Basically, we think he had a heart attack. Our neighbor (the superintendent) came and helped Dustin try to revive him, but he was gone. So they dug a hole in the neighbors backyard and buried him next to their kitty cat that had recently died. It was very sad for Dustin and I. He was only 3 1/2. I knew that Taylor would eventually ask, and I was really dreading that conversation!! The next day, when we were outside, she noticed he was gone and asked about him. Dustin told her that he got sick and had to go to heaven. She basically said okay and kept playing. Whew, that was easy! But it wasn't the end of it! That night, when I was putting her to bed, she started crying and said she wanted to go get Cowboy and bring him home. I explained to her that his heart was sick and medicine wouldn't help him, so he had to go be with God in heaven and that's far away. She said, "Well, tomorrow, when we get dressed, we can get in the car and drive to get him." I told her we couldn't drive to heaven, but that now that he's happy there! She asked how he knew to get there. (are you kidding me...these are big questions for a 2 1/2 yr old). I told her the angels showed him the way. She smiled and said they were probably singing to him. My heart melted!! She still asks about him some, but seems content to know that he is happy. We will sure miss sweet Cowboy!!

Our other big news is...we are moving! Dustin took a job about 75 miles south of Lubbock in Ackerly. The school is called Sands. It's the same size school he's in now. We are very excited!! We are moving in three weeks. And I am going to be induced in 6 weeks. It's going to be crazy, but I know it will all work out! Taylor has been asking questions about this, too, as I have started packing boxes. She's not really thrilled about the idea. It's going to be a busy 2 months for her, with a new house and a new baby brother. I am just hoping she adjusts fairly well!

My official induction date is July 6. I am getting really ready!! I feel quite large these days and am having trouble chasing Taylor around. But other than feeling as big as a house, I feel good! :-)

I will leave you with some pictures of Cowboy. I don't have any recent ones...I know I do somewhere, I just can't find them.



10 comments:

April Carrasco said...

Oh, Cowboy was so cute. I remember when y'all got him. So sorry! Congrats on the move! Y'all just keep getting further and further from Lubbock, what is the deal?!? You are supposed to be getting closer :)!

Luft Family said...

So sorry to hear about Cowboy. That is tough! Hope your move and delivery is very smooth!

melissa deaver said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Cowboy - I remember when you got that Chubby little guy. :( I hope the transition goes smoothly for your family with the upcoming craziness. :)

Ashley said...

So sorry to hear about Cowboy. I remember him too! Good to talk to you Saturday. Glad you FINALLY blogged about the move! You are one busy woman!

Spotted-Bird said...

I am so sorry about Cowboy. That is a difficult situation to go through.

Congratulations on the move. You are going to be one busy woman. Good Luck!

Melissa @ M Miranda Creations said...

Well I cried reading your entry. I can just imagine little Taylor as serious as can be asking about Cowboy. Sorry you lost such a sweet member of your family. I will be praying for all of you over the next several weeks. I know all too well how hard moving can be having just done it myself and I can not imagine doing it with a baby coming a few weeks later. Please take it easy with the packing and find some help. I would sure help if I was closer. Miss you guys!

Amy said...

I am so sorry about Cowboy. That is so hard. Especially for a 2 year old to understand. Congrats on the new job. Everything will happen so fast! Good luck with it all! I hope you are feeling good.

Candice said...

Hey Allyson! So sorry to hear about Cowboy! What a sweet girl Taylor is! You and Dustin did such a good job answering such hard questions! I heard about your upcoming move a week or so ago. I hope that you and Dusting enjoy all that this new change means! Good thinking with the induction - that would be a LONG drive from Sands in labor! :) Keep us posted!

Shanta said...

Sweet Cowboy! I remember him! We are so sorry Allyson. I think you handled it so well with Taylor. And GOOD LUCK with the move, the baby, the transition, everything! You go girl! You'd better take it easy or you won't need an induction! I'll be thinking of you in the hospital- we're due July 9! Please give Dustin our congrats on the job.

Libby said...

I'm so sorry too, to hear about Cowboy, but it sounds like y'all did an amazing job handling it with Taylor. What a lucky kid she is...I hope all goes well with the move, take it easy and don't lift anything:) Good luck!!